Have you ever heard the saying, “Love is what makes a house a home”?
It’s a very sweet sentiment and my hope would be that everyone can experience having a home built from love. However, taking this quote into consideration, if love makes a house a home, what makes a house? Wooden beams, insulation, drywall, a strong foundation. All of these things are important in making a house, but the cherry on top is the roof. Even with a strong foundation or wooden beams, your head will still get wet when it rains if you do not have a properly maintained roof.
Roofing Company In Hilton Head Island
The question we ask ourselves now is, what can we do to maintain our roof so it stays in a good, functioning state? Well, there are several easy steps we can take to prolong the life of our roof.
- Routine Roof Inspections: One of the best ways to make sure your roof is in good working order is to have a professional roofing company come in and inspect. They know what they need to look for and be aware of. By having routine inspections done on your roof, you will be more aware of the wear and tear that your roof is going through and what things you need to have repaired in order to prolong the life of your roof.
- Gutter Maintenance: Gutters, even though they are not the roof, can play a role in the longevity of your roof life. If gutters fill up with dirt and debris, they can become clogged and backed up so the water is likely to pool and overflow onto your roof. This pooling of water could cause some structural damage overtime. So make sure you do clean your gutters regularly in order to prevent this from occurring.
- Remove Debris from Roof: After a storm, you never know what may have blown onto your roof. Take a look and remove any debris that may be just laying around on your roof.
- Keep a Lookout for Mildew or Mold: Mildew and mold could become problematic especially in more moist or humid environments such as Hilton Head Island. It’s important to keep a lookout for this. During the routine roof inspections, a professional roofing company will know what to look for and can clue you in on what needs to be done if mildew or mold is found.
- Repair Broken or Missing Shingles: This is pretty straight forward. As you realize problem areas of your roof, fix them. It may take some time and money at the moment but it will prolong the life of your roof as a whole and save you money in the long run.
Be Aware: Overall, your roof will be in good hands if you are simply aware of it and what’s going on. Be aware of how old your roof is. After about twenty years, your roof is considered in its older years and may be in need of being replaced. Be aware of trees that are growing near your home and make sure to cut any branches that could possibly fall on your roof and damage it. Be aware of any leaks that may be occurring in your attic due to the roof being weak in an area. If you are aware of what’s going on, you can fix it.